Monday, October 21, 2013

Martian Surface: New discoveries! :O


Hey guys! It's Teemster again, and I just want to say that I'm sorry for not posting for about two weeks… I think. But now I’m back! This week I get to chose an article about current science news, and I read something about… the planet Mars! If you would like to read the original article “Scratching the Martian surface” written by Stephen Ornes, then click here!
         


         This picture above is from the article “Scratching the Martain surface”. This article is about scientists discovering a certain kind of dirt and a rock that contains some familiar components. The dirt contains water and a chemical called perchlorate. Perchlorate is a chemical that is poisonous to humans, but it is used in rocket fuel. This is the first time scientists know definitively what this stuff is made of. “This is the first time we’ve known precisely and definitively what this stuff is made of,” says David Blake, an astrobiologist. Another item found on the Martian surface is a rock. This pyramid-shaped black rock was around the size of a football. The rock was named “Jake_M” after Jacob “Jake” Matijevic, a NASA engineer who died in 2012. Jake_M was found resembling extremely rare type of volcanic rock found on Earth’s volcanic islands. The scientists are now wondering if they will be able to find another one, of if it is just a one of a kind.




         My reaction to this article was that I was surprised at the fact that the alien soil is made of a chemical that is poisonous, but is still used to make rocket fuel. I personally find that cool, even if the chemical is poisonous to us... Anyway, lets get back to Martian stuff! I always love it when scientists are just random people discover something new, it shows that nobody knows everything! When I was choosing an article, the title with "Martian surface" caught my eye. I love learning about what is possible that we didn't know about. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! You just have to work for it. :)






There ya go! Wasn't that pretty cool?! Mars has different types of cool rocks and alien soil! :D Well, did you like my blog? Comment your thoughts for me please! :D

xoxo Teemster! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment